Now open Monday Evenings 8pm-9pm.
June through August.
Welcome to the Tool Library!
The Southeast Seattle Tool Library is a non-profit organization where you can borrow tools for home maintenance, woodworking, gardening, and creative projects of all kinds. Most tools can be borrowed for a week at a time. This website lets everyone browse our tool collection and, if you are a member, see what tools you have checked out. For more information about the organization, including how to become a member, please see our main site at setools.org, send us an email, or just drop by and chat with our friendly volunteer tool librarians during our open hours and we'll get your membership set up on the spot!
How we operate:
We are open shorter hours due to COVID-19:
- Mondays 8-9pm
- Wednesdays 5pm-7pm
- Saturdays 10am-noon
Closures due to state requirements or volunteer shortages will be announced via email, Facebook, and here on this web page.
- Only volunteers are allowed inside the library.
- Come to the table outside of our North garage door and request tools from a staff volunteer, who will bring the tools out to you.
- Please stand at least six feet from others while waiting for an available volunteer to assist you.
- If you prefer to remain in your vehicle, please email or text us at 202 780-7296, preferably before open hours, so know to we look for you.
- Tools cannot be reserved. When we tried reservations on a limited basis, too many folks just didn't show up.
- Most tools can be borrowed for a week at a time, with the exception of electric lawnmowers, weed whackers, and pressure washers, in season, which should be returned the next day we are open.
- You will receive an automated email reminder a few days before tools are due back.
- Tools can only be used at the tool library by appointment.
- Tools can only be returned during open hours.
- We are no longer quarantining tool returns since numerous studies have found that surface transmission of COVID-19 is very unlikely. Please be aware that any tool you borrow could have been used that same day by other members and feel free to sanitize it should you feel the need.
- Please return tools by the due date or send an email if you would like to extend the loan.
- Please send us an email if you have an item to donate. We will gladly take working tool donations if they fit in our limited space and are likely to be borrowed. We cannot take gas powered tools due to insurance restrictions.
- Please do not drop off items for the Free Cart. We are taking the Free Cart out of service until further notice.
Top Wish List Items:
- K-Body Parallel Clamps, Trigger Clamps and Bar clamps
- Long levels - six feet or more long
- Rotary hammers
- Portable mobile base for large tools
- Siding nail gun
- LED work lights
- Electric metal shears
Click the Inventory link above to browse our awesome tool collection - you don’t need to be a member to look around. You can also search for a specific tool in the Search Inventory box at the top right. Can't find the tool you need? Send us an email!
Tool Library Gift Certificates and T-Shirts
Give friends and family a gift they can use all year - a membership to the tool library! Purchase an attractive gift certificate at the tool library or send us an email and we can mail it to a local address with some fascinating literature describing our purpose and hours. Your gift is tax deductible and keeps the doors open at this wonderful community resource. Or just spread the word to let folks know we're here. Many people have never even heard of the tool library concept and are thrilled when they learn about it. So go ahead - make someone's day! We also have a limited number of t-shirts available - send us an email or ask the staff volunteers for details when you stop by.