Welcome to the Tool Library!
The Southeast Seattle Tool Library is a non-profit organization where you can borrow tools for home maintenance, woodworking, gardening, and creative projects of all kinds. Most tools can be borrowed for a week at a time. This website lets everyone browse our tool collection and, if you are a member, see what tools you have checked out. For more information about the organization, including how to become a member, please see our main site at setools.org, send us an email, or just drop by and chat with our friendly volunteer tool librarians during our open hours and we'll get your membership set up on the spot!
How we operate:
- Only volunteers are allowed inside the library.
- Come to the table outside of our North garage door and request tools from a staff volunteer, who will bring the tools out to you.
- Tools cannot be reserved. When we tried reservations on a limited basis, too many folks just didn't show up.
- Most tools can be borrowed for a week at a time, with the exception of electric lawnmowers, weed whackers, and pressure washers, in season, which should be returned the next day we are open.
- You will receive an automated email reminder a few days before tools are due back.
- Tools can be used at the tool library by appointment.
- Tools can only be returned during open hours.
- Do not leave tools outside the tool library when it is closed. They will likely disappear within minutes!
- Please return tools by the due date or send an email if you would like to extend the loan.
- Due to space constraints, we are generally only accepting tools that are on our wishlist below. Please send us an email if you have othet types of tools to donate.
- Click here for a handy flier describing our donation guidelines and other great places to donate/recycle tools and building supplies.
- We generally don’t take building supplies but you can send us an email if you have something special you think we might want.
Tool Wishlist (updated May 6, 2022)
With links to some examples:
- Demolition Hammers and Rotary Hammers, preferably for SDS Max or SDS Plus bits
- K-Body Parallel Clamps, Trigger Clamps and Bar clamps
- Long Levels - six feet long or more
- Electric Metal Shears
- Toe Kick Saw
- Electric Wood Chipper
- Electric Rototiller
- Lightweight Orchard (Tripod) Ladders
- Oscillating Multi-Tools
- DeWALT 20v Cordless Power Tools, any kind (we have lots of 20v DeWALT batteries!)
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Power Tools, any kind (we have lots of Ryobi 18v batteries too)
- PEX Plumbing Tools
- Router Bit Sets (any kind)
- Complete drill bit sets and driver bit sets
Click the Inventory link above to browse our awesome tool collection - you don’t need to be a member to look around. You can also search for a specific tool in the Search Inventory box at the top right. Can't find the tool you need? Send us an email!
Tool Library Gift Certificates and T-Shirts
Give friends and family a gift they can use all year - a membership to the tool library! Purchase an attractive gift certificate at the tool library or send us an email and we can mail it to a local address with some fascinating literature describing our purpose and hours. Your gift is tax deductible and keeps the doors open at this wonderful community resource. Or just spread the word to let folks know we're here. Many people have never even heard of the tool library concept and are thrilled when they learn about it. So go ahead - make someone's day! We also have a limited number of t-shirts available - send us an email or ask the staff volunteers for details when you stop by.